Saturday, January 24, 2009

I might even be a rockstar

Januray 20, 2009 was a day for celebrations, and celebrate I did. I met up with this group I joined, Drinking Liberally, at a bar/restaurant in New Brunswick called Delta's. Being of the Tri Deltas, the name intrigued me even though I'm pretty sure it refers to the Mississippi River Delta, not the Greek letter and best sorority ever. This place specializes in Southern cuisine, and it was great! Of course, I only ate about two pieces of cajun calamari, but it was delicious. I know my calamari, and this stuff tasted fresh or very high quality and well prepared frozen. The martinis and wine were good too. The atmosphere was also more multi-cultural or at least multi-racial than most of the places around here, which was very nice.

I met a bunch of new people, and they even ADMIRED MY KNITTING!!! No, I was not actually knitting in the bar. It was far too crowded and dark for that. At one point during the evening, I was sitting with a bunch of DL buds and some new people. This guy who I had been talking to for a while asked me what my hobbies were. I sheepishly told him that I knit a lot, and instead of running away or making some joke about how I looked a little young to be a grandmother, he asked me what kinds of things I make. Rather than just telling him, I pulled my Bella Mittens out of my bag. This got the attention of the whole group. Of course, I know my mittens are beautiful, but I don't always expect a bunch of hipster 20somethings (Some people might say that I fall into this category, but I don't think so. I'm a little too Future Homemakers of America to be hip.) to admire them too! I mean, they are gorgeous...don't you agree?


120_0045

The peekaboo finger slots really won the crowd over.

120_0046

Since the flood gates had already been opened, I pulled more of my woolies out of my giant purse, and soon everyone was passing around and trying on the above mittens, my Jacqui Hat, and my Jacqui Scarf.

120_0017.120_0032

Two people were practically begging me to make similar hats and mittens for them. It made me feel like a rock star instead of a freak with lots of wool in her large purse. It was so nice to be myself and have people intrigued and engaging instead of just polite. I wonder if I can maintain this kind of celebrity when the mercury creeps above 50 degrees. I guess time will tell!

No comments: