Monday, November 15, 2010

The Importance of a Name

Juliet may have said That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet (Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 2.2), but I have to say that in the case of knitting patterns, I do not agree.
 
120_1687

 A name is your first impression.  It may draw you in or repel you.  It may intrigue you or disgust you.  Ok, disgust may be taking it a bit far, but I admit to being one of those knitters who may be inclined to buy a pattern simply if I like its name or the story behind it.  Silly, I know, but I find myself driven to satisfy the same kind of knitter/customer that I myself embody, so while I was completely in love with my new plaid shawl pattern, it felt incomplete without a name.

120_1690

Being that the showcase of this shawl is the plaid, I knew I could either go the prep route or the punk route for my name inspiration.  I threw around a few ideas, but nothing really stuck out as a winner or sang to me in any way.  A knitting friend from Angelfire Studios gave me some advice, and I started googling, listening to lots of The Clash, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, and reading up on the stories behind the songs.  Still, it was my lovely sister Sarah who led me to Sheena is a Punk Rocker


Well the kids are all hopped up and ready to go
They're ready to go now
They've got their surfboards
And they're going to the discotheque a go go
But she just couldn't stay
She had to break away
Well New York City really has it all
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Sheena is a punk rocker
 
Sheena is a punk rocker
Sheena is a punk rocker now
Sheena is a punk rocker


The lyrics really spoke to  me.  Simple as they are, they embody what punk rock meant to me, especially in high school.  It's the perfect escape--just like knitting a great shawl.  And couldn't you totally see Sheena rocking this one?
120_1685


The pattern is now with some wonderful test knitters, and I hope to have it ready for release in approximately 3 weeks.  I knit this sample in two colors of Malabrigo Sock, Black and Indiecita, and a size US 5 needle.  More details are on my ravelry project page, and more information will be available upon the pattern's release.

No comments: