Sunday, November 14, 2010

Finally Featherweight

100_0667

I've been wanting to knit Hannah Fettig's Featherweight Cardigan pretty much ever since the patten was released.  I knew that this would be just the perfect little cardigan to throw on over anything and class up almost any outfit.  I couldn't knit such a staple wardrobe piece in just any yarn, now could I?  Perhaps this is why it took me a year and a half to choose the best possible yarn for the project.  I changed my  mind a few times, as I am apt to do, and finally decided that it was just not the time for me to knit Featherweight.  Then one day in September I suddenly had a craving for a yellow/orange sweater.  Instead of buying one like a normal person, I set out to find the best yellow-orange yarn for my skin tone and knit a sweater.  After settling on Madelinetosh tosh lace in Warm Maize, I instantly knew that the yarn needed to become a Featherweight Cardigan. 

120_1701
Pattern:  Featherweight Cardigan
Yarn:  Madelinetosh tosh lace in Warm Maize
Needles:  US 5
Modifications:  I lengthened the body by about 4 inches but knit everything else according to the pattern--even the rolled stockinette collar that so many have modified.

I think the most amazing thing about this pattern is that I managed to knit it from one single skein of yarn!  Sure, that yarn happens to have 950 yards per skein, but I still expected to dip into the second one.  

120_1711

At first I foolishly tried to photograph this sweater by myself, and as you can see from the above shots, that didn't work out very well.  Luckily I managed to catch my mom one day when we were both available during the waning daylight hours for proper outdoor photos.  No more dreaded mirror shots!

No comments: