Friday, March 21, 2008

Second Sock Syndrome No More!


So I have been knitting 2 socks on 2 circs, and I'd have to say I'm addicted. I only garnered the courage to try two socks at a time by signing up for a Magic Loop class at Angelfire Studios. Go figure, I decided NOT to knit my socks using the Magic Loop. After Carolyn's quick demo of the technique, I decided that A. This technique was easy enough for me to figure out on my own. and B. It did not look like fun. I wanted a challenge, so I made the impulsive decision to use two circular needles to knit two at a time. Carolyn warned us that the 2 circs method was very easy to get tangled. "You'll need to use two balls of yarn, keep one ball on either side of you, move the whole thing when you turn your needles around, and not let any pets or small children get into it." (not a direct quote, but necessary for editorial purposes). I thought about this for about 2 seconds. Moving yarn is a magnet for my cat. I'm kinda impatient and not very organized. I am the queen of tangles. I made my decision. "I'll do it!" It hasn't been so bad. As I was warned, the biggest challenge was the tangles. But my knitting taught me patience. I just breathed deep breaths and channeled my friend Scott's precision and superior problem-solving skills. [He once helped me wind up a ball of Tilli Thomas spun silk with sequins, and we had more than a few snags. I just blithely spun my wrist around balling the yarn until the ball leapt out of my hands and Scott calmly and quickly undid the sequinned snag. Thanks, Scott :-*] It worked! This would be reason 123873598732 why I love knitting: by taking on challenges you learn new things about yourself and do things you never thought you could do. Just a bit of advice for anyone who is inspired to take on this endeavour, as I have: In between round, your needles should never be twisted or tangled, but lying straight across with two little socks hanging between them. One needles shoulc have the fronts of the socks and the other needle should have the backs. When you pick up the stitches for the heel gusset, one needle (the one that had the fronts) should still ONLY have the fronts (instep stitches) and the other needle should have the heel and all gusset stitches. I did this wrong at first and my needles were twisted like some middle eastern cobra in a basket. Not fun. I didn't get a picture of this collassal screw up because I was too furiously knitting trying to get past those awful gussets. The manager I used to work with at Victoria's Secret about two or three years ago insisted that we did not use the term crotchless panties, but panties without a gusset. I know that "gusset" is just the name for a joining wedge of fabric but I can't help making the connection in my head. Stupid heel gussets. But I've moved past them (figuratively--I'm actually still knitting them.) Pictures will definitely be posted when I'm done!

No comments: