Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

For me pumpkin pie is completely hit or miss.  I've had some that was not so good and some that was great.  Given my recent obsession with roasting pumpkins, it is only natural that I'd attempt to make my own pie, even though I've never done it before.  I started off by roasting two small sugar pumpkins (why make one pie when you can make two?) and pureeing the flesh in a food processor.  I modified this recipe from Spiced Pumpkin Pie from allrecipes.com to create this healthy, delicious desert.  I didn't know pumpkin pie could be this good...I am never using canned pumpkin again.  The quantities I've given are for two pies, so just half them for one pie.  Most of the substitutions I made were purely due to availability (I ran out of pumpkin pie spice and I forgot to buy brown sugar) except for the milk--I am lactose intolerant, and the almond milk worked well.


Spiced Pumpkin Pie
makes 2
 4 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
12 fluid ounces of almond milk
2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts

1.  Preheat oven to 35o degrees Fahrenheit.  
2.  In a medium bowl mix together the pumpkin, egg subsitute, sugar, molasses, spices, and almond milk.
3.  Pour half of the pumpkin pie mixture into each of the pie crusts.  Bake in the preheated oven for about 80 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

The five spice powder gives it an interesting complexity.  If you use evaporated milk like the original recipe calls for, you may want to double the amount because it is so much thicker than almond milk.  Try the recipe and let me know what you think!

No comments: