Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Foster and Family Services Foundation Walk and Raffle

Thank you to all the donors!  Winners have been contacted via ravelry message.


I have always been inspired by families who foster and/or adopt children.  If you know me, you know that I love children, and I am fascinated by family and social dynamics.  Having grown up in a fairly normal and loving family, I wasn't exposed to negative or unstable families until I was fortunate enough to work with some of the amazing library-going kids at my last job.  The thought of children growing up without at least one parent around to supervise, love, or support them is almost incomprehensible to me, but I know it happens.  Some children and families need help, help that may come in the form of placing the kids with another caregiver who is better equipped to do the actual parenting.  So whether it is the Tuohy family of The Blind Side, a member of my knitting group, or my friend Jenn's mom and dad, foster and adoptive familes are my rockstars.  I know that one day, when I am ready to start a family, fostered and adopted children will be a part of it.  But for now, the best thing I can provide is monetary support.  That is one reason why I am thrilled to be doing the Walk for Children in Foster Care for the Foster and Family Services Foundation this Saturday.  To help raise money for this worthy cause, I am hosting a raffle here on my blog.  You can make donations on my fundraising page here.  Each $5 donation will give you one raffle entry.  For example, if you donate $20 you will have your name entered 4 times.  No donation is too small; every little bit helps!

Here are the prizes:

1.  An item handmade by me!  Any non-knitters entering will be entered in a drawing to win a hand-knit accessory set of your choice.  I'd suggest a hat, cowl, and fingerless mittens, but I'll knit any 3 accessories of your choice!  The winner and I can talk about colors and patterns so you get something completely custom.   If you don't want handknits we can talk about something else, like baked goods. 

2.  Two skeins of Madelinetosh Sport in new color Lumiere!  This 100% superwash merino wool yarn is soft and springy with amazing stitch definition.  It is currently only available on Madelinetosh's etsy site. 

2.  One skein of Three Irish Girls Westerly Sea Sock in the colorway Giselle.  This yarn is 70% superwash merino wool and 30% seacell, a fiber made from seaweed!  This is an exclusive club colorway.

3.  2 skeins of Spud and Chloe Fine in the colorway Sassafrass.  This yarn is 70% superwash merino wool and 30% silk.  It is both beautiful and durable.

4.  One skein of Have You Any Wool Simplicity Sock in colorway Famous for Nothing. This yarn is 100% superwash merino wool.

5.  One skein of Three Irish Girls Roslea Organic Merino in colorway Titania.  This 100% organic yarn is not superwash.  It is perfect for soakers or any item that will showcase its gorgeous colors.  I know two skeins are pictured here, but only one is up for grabs.  Sorry!

If you are able to donate, thank you so much, and good luck!  The walk is this Sunday, September 25.  I will accept donations and raffle entries until 8 a.m. eastern time on Sunday morning, and winners will be announced here on my blog on Monday September 26.  If you donate, comment on this post so I know to look for your entry.  Be sure to provide your email address or ravelry name so I have a way to contact you.

2 comments:

Caryl said...

Great cause! Have a good walk!

debjac said...

Good Luck Jacqui!
debjac