Monday, September 20, 2010

All Things Orange

An Autumn Bounty of Orange
Fall officially begins this week, and I have been feeling the pull of the changing season.  My usual color palate tends toward the cool tones of blues, greens, and teals.  Intentionally or not, almost everythng I knit, wear, and carry falls within those parameters.  However, lately I've been craving warm, rich tones of orange, and this little collection I've recently built up shows it.  [Clockwise, from far left] I have on display here Madelinetosh Merino Light in Terra, orange and white lilies from my dear friend Leah's bridal shower, a sugar pumpkin, Farmhouse Yarns Bonnie's Bamboo in Terracotta, Madelinetosh Lace in Warm Maize, and Lotus Yarns Chakra in Lena.  Those are all ravelry links.  Sorry, non-ravelers!

I've been noticing and admiring my once-detested color, orange, more and more lately but last week I suddenly decided that I needed a yellow-orange cardigan and I needed it now.  Instead of going out to the Lim$ited like most normal people, I endeavored to knit the sweater myself.  I picked out the perfect yarn (Tosh Lace in Warm Maize) and cast on pretty much immediately for the Featherweight Cardigan.  I plan on lengthening it at least 2 or 3 inches and employing short rows to make the collar shawl-collar-ish.  Yes, I do still have my second Malabrigo Sock version of Hestia on the needles, and done. Why I thought it would be a great idea to cast on another lightweight mostly stockinette sweater, I don't know.  But I do know that I'm a happy knitter and pretty soon I'll be a happy sweater wearer.

As for the rest of the orange goodies in my above photo, I have plans to make some delicious sweaters, accessories, and dishes.  The TML is destined to become a Hamamelis Shawl, and the Bonnie's Bamboo is set aside for Lonicera, both patterns by Through The Loops.  I love nearly everything Kirsten Kapur does, but I am especially excited for these two as I've been searching for the perfect yarn for Hamamelis for a while, and I had the good fortune to try on the sample for Lonicera while it was temporarily living at Angelfire Studios.  Good gravy, was that simple sweater sexy on me!  I was somewhat shocked that the same sweater that fits tall and skinny Sofie so well looked like it was made for the me (substantially shorter and curvier), but I guess that's the beauty of this design.  The drapey fronts lend it to many different style options, and the bamboo draped over my curves just perfectly.  I've worked with Bonnie's Bamboo before, so I know it is just a dream to knit with and I can barely wait to cast on.

The only other item pictured that I currently have a plan for is that adorable sugar pumpkin.  When I proudly told my mother that I had bought a pumpkin exclusively for cooking, not for carving, she was not impressed.  She asked me what I planned on doing with it.  When I told her I intend to cook it somehow she gave me a sideways look and said "I did that once when your father and I were first married.  I never did it again."  I'm sure plenty of women say that about one task or another, but I am unfazed.  I'm going to roast that baby and turn it into something delicious--probably Caribbean Pumpkin Black Bean Soup.  Look for a blog post about that later this week! 

No comments: