Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Confession: I'd rather burn a book than our flag.

This may very well be the most controversial blog post I have ever written.

Contrary to what most people assume, I do not hold books sacred.  Working in a library for years has cured me of that ailment.  In fact, I believe some of them should be thown out or recycled periodically.

Now that you've closed your dropped jaw and picked yourself up off of the floor and before you start citing Farenheit 451, let me explain.  I love knowledge, exploration, and stories.  But I do not hold every printed and bound piece of these ideals dear simply because it exists as a book.  Many outdated, dusty, moldy books exist on our bookshelves, and I am not merely referring to their physical condition.  It is not our responsibility to be the custodian of all books, but to maintain and share the best most relevant books, just as only the most accurate scientific theories stand the test of time.  That is why I loved the following blog entry from a school librarian.  She provides a much more comprehensive and eloquent perspective than mine as she reponds to the perennial exclamation: "I Can't Believe You're Throwing Out Books!"

1 comment:

Julie Goldberg said...

Glad you liked it! Thanks for sharing.